All Saints’ Day, also known as All Hallows’ Day, Hallowmas, the Feast of All Saints, or Solemnity of All Saints, is a Christian festival celebrated in honour of all the saints, known and unknown.
All Saints’ Day is a solemn holy day of the Catholic Church celebrated annually on November 1. The day is dedicated to the saints of the Church, that is, all those who have attained heaven. It should not be confused with All Souls’ Day, which is observed on November 2, and is dedicated to those who have died and not yet reached heaven.
All Saints’ Day is also commemorated by members of the Eastern Orthodox Church as well as some protestant churches, such as Lutheran and Anglican churches.
Generally, All Saints’ Day is a Catholic Holy Day of Obligation, meaning all Catholics are required to attend Mass on that day, unless they have an excellent excuse, such as serious illness.
Other countries have different rules according to their national bishop’s conferences. The bishops of each conference have the authority to amend the rules surrounding the obligation of the day.
All Saints’ Day was formally started by Pope Boniface IV, who consecrated the Pantheon at Rome to the Virgin Mary and all the Martyrs on May 13 in 609 AD. Boniface IV also established All Souls’ Day, which follows All Saints.
The choice of the day may have been intended to co-opt the pagan holiday “Feast of the Lamures,” a day which pagans used to placate the restless spirits of the dead.
The holy day was eventually established on November 1 by Pope Gregory III in the mid-eighth century as a day dedicated to the saints and their relics. The May 13 celebration was subsequently abandoned.
In Ireland, the Church celebrated All Saints’ Day on April 20, to avoid associating the day with the traditional harvest festivals and pagan feasts associated with Samhain, celebrated at the same time.
All Saints Day Messages, Wishes and Blessings Greetings
Here is an amazing collection of All Saints Day messages and All Saints Day quotes that help you wish people around you.
All Saints Day Messages
1. On All Saints Day, I pray that you are always sheltered by His care and protected by His love.
2. I wish for a dull full of peace, joy and divine blessings for you and your family on this day. Wishing you a Happy All Saints Day.
3. Today is All Saints Day. I wish that you are showered with choicest blessings of Saints which bring happiness and success in your life.
4. Have a blessed All Saints Day with your family and friends.
5. Sending warm wishes to you and your family in the honor of All Saints Day and All Souls Day.
6. Let there always be spring on our graves… Wishing you a very Happy All Saints Day.
7. I wish that all your prayers come true… for yourself and for all the people you love as we celebrate All Saints Day.
8. Let us not forget to remember and pray for all the departed souls who are dear to us on All Saints Day.
9. On this occasion, I pray that saints hold you in their love and protect you… and bless you and your loved ones with their grace…. Today and always…. Warm wishes on All Saints Day.
10. You are the one who enriches my life with joy and happiness… wishing you a very Happy All Saints Day.
All Saints Day Messages for Loved ones
11. May you are showered everyday with His grace, His love and His care for a beautiful life…. Best wishes to you on All Saints Day.
12. Sending my warm wishes on All Saints Day to my loved ones hoping for a brighter and happier tomorrow!!!
All Saints day Messages for Father
13. Dearest Dad, I wish that He is always with you to shower you with good health and lots of happiness….. Wishing you Happy All Saints Day.
14. May the blessings of God always empower you with greater strength and positivity…. Best wishes on All Saints Day!!!
All Saints Day Messages for Friends
15. Warm wishes on All Saints Day to you my friend. On this pious occasion, I pray that you are always blessed by the good souls of the Saints.
16. Wishing a very Happy All Saints Day to you. May your life is always full of joy and happiness, peace and goodness.
17. May you are always surrounded with joy, may you are always surrounded with bright light, may all your prayers are answered by Almighty. Happy All Saints Day to you my friend.
All Saints Day Children’s Message
18. On the occasion of All Saints Day, I pray that the good souls are always there to guide the children towards the right path in life.
19. May your innocence never fade, may your happiness and smile stay the same, may you always be blessed. Happy All Saints Day to dearest kids.
20. Never hesitate from following the footsteps of the saints, it may not be easy but it will surely be worth every effort made. Warm wishes on All Saints Day.
Happy All Saints Day Wishes Quotes
21. Don’t let the good in you fade with time. Don’t forget to follow what the saints have taught us. Happy All Saints Day to everyone.
22. Warm wishes on All Saints Day to you. Today is the day to take inspiration from Saints and have a blessed and happy life.