In some Christian denominations, All Souls’ Day or the Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed, that is, of the souls of all Christians who have died, follows All Saints’ Day. Observing Christians typically remember deceased relatives on the day.
The History of All Souls Day
The importance of All Souls Day was made clear by Pope Benedict XV (1914-22) when he granted all priests the privilege of celebrating three Masses on All Souls Day: one for the faithful departed; one for the priest’s intentions; and one for the intentions of the Holy Father. On only a handful of other very important feast days are priests allowed to celebrate more than two Masses.
While All Souls Day is now paired with All Saints Day (November 1), which celebrates all of the faithful who are in Heaven, it originally was celebrated in the Easter season, around Pentecost Sunday (and still is in the Eastern Catholic Churches). By the tenth century, the celebration had been moved to October; and sometime between 998 and 1030, St. Odilo of Cluny decreed that it should be celebrated on November 2 in all of the monasteries of his Benedictine congregation. Over the next two centuries, other Benedictines and the Carthusians began to celebrate it in their monasteries as well, and soon the commemoration of all the Holy Souls in Purgatory spread to the entire Church.
More about All Souls Day
All Souls’ Day commemorates the faithful departed. In Western Christianity, this day is observed principally in the Catholic Church, although some churches of the Anglican Communion and the Old Catholic Churches also celebrate it. The Eastern Orthodox churches observe several All Souls’ Days during the year.
All Souls Day 2019 Wishes
Here are the Best Quotes, Wishes, Images, Wallpapers, SMS, Messages, Status with your friends and families on All Souls’ Day 2019:
- Let us send our love and wishes to all those loved ones who are no more on Earth hoping for their peace and happiness…. Happy All Souls Day.
- Time heals everything but it can never bring back the warmth and love of our dear ones who are no longer with us…. Best wishes on All Souls Day.
- Let us not fear from Death but accept it, for Death turns the time to eternity….. Wishing you a very Happy All Souls Day.
- Oh Lord, please grant our loved ones eternal rest and peace as they are no longer with us…. As they seek your love and grace.
- With time the pain of absence of our loved ones might faint but their memories will always stay fresh in our hearts.
- Let us not be afraid of Death because after that we will be living in the arms of GOD…. Best wishes on All Souls Day to you.
- All Souls Day is all about remembering our loved ones who are no longer with us but continue to live in our memories.
- On the occasion of All Souls Day, I wish that all the departed souls are blessed by the Almighty.
- On All Souls Day, let us join our hands and bow our heads and pray for the peace of the departed souls.