On Thanksgiving Day, we remember with reverence and gratitude the bountiful blessings afforded to us by our Creator, and we recommit to sharing in a spirit of thanksgiving and generosity with our friends, neighbors, and families.
WHAT IS THE TRUE MEANING OF THANKSGIVING?
Prior to the formal establishment of Thanksgiving, Native American harvest festivals had been celebrated for centuries, with colonial services dating back to the late 16th century. The autumnal feasts celebrated the harvest of crops after a season of bountiful growth.
In the early 1600s, communities of settlers in both Massachusetts and Virginia came together to give thanks for their survival, for the fertility of their fields, and for their faith. The most widely known early Thanksgiving is that of the Pilgrims in Plimoth, Massachusetts, who feasted for three days with the Wampanoag people in 1621.
Today, folks celebrate Thanksgiving for a multitude of reasons. For some, it remains a way to express gratitude for the harvest or to a higher power; for others, it’s a holiday built upon being with family and simply enjoying delicious food.
HISTORY OF THANKSGIVING IN THE UNITED STATES
The first national holiday of Thanksgiving was observed for a slightly different reason than celebration of the harvest—it was in honor of the creation of the new United States Constitution! In 1789, President George Washington issued a proclamation designating November 26 of that year as a “Day of Publick Thanksgivin” to recognize the role of providence in creating the new United States and the new federal Constitution.
Thanksgiving 2019 quotes ‘As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.’ – John F. Kennedy ‘I love Thanksgiving because it’s a holiday that is centered around food and family, two things that are of utmost importance to me.’ – Marcus Samuelsson ‘Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.’ – Maya Angelou, Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer ‘I am grateful for what I am and have. My Thanksgiving is perpetual.’ – Henry David Thoreau ‘Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.’ – Oprah Winfrey ‘Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.’ – Marcel Proust ‘Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.’ – Marcus Tullius Cicero ‘Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.’ – Ralph Waldo Emerson।
Happy Thanksgiving Messages For Family And Friends
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- Happy Thanksgiving Day!
- Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
- Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
- May all the good things of life be yours, not only at Thanksgiving but throughout the coming year.
- Our homes may be far apart, but our hearts are as close as always.
- There have been times when I forgot to thank you for being there for me. I take this day to tell you how special you are and how great my life has become because of you. Have a memorable Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving is more than the festivities, it gives us time to ponder upon what lessons we learnt and how we can spread happiness around, to look back at all the great memories and good people who came into our lives. We appreciate you so much. Happy Thanksgiving Day to you and your loved ones.
- At this time of Thanksgiving celebration, our thoughts turn gratefully to you with warm appreciation. Our best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving.
- Being a family means you are part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. Happy Thanksgiving to those closest to my heart.
Thanksgiving Wishes For Family And Friends
Express warm Thanksgiving blessings and elevate your sentiments with a few touching Thanksgiving wishes. Your thanksgiving wishes should be filled with gratitude and appreciation. These words will add charm to your message and give your recipient the important reminder and appreciation he or she needs, now and always. This Thanksgiving, send a message that will be cherished for a lifetime.
- May the good things of life be yours in abundance not only at Thanksgiving but throughout the coming year.
- May you enjoy a bountiful Thanksgiving, a joyous holiday season and healthful, Happy New Year.
- A special greeting of Thanksgiving time to express to you our sincere appreciation for your confidence and loyalty. We are deeply thankful and extend to you our best wishes for a happy and healthy Thanksgiving Day.
- One of the joys of Thanksgiving is wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season.
- At this time of Thanksgiving we pause to count our blessings. The freedom of this great country in which we live. It’s opportunity for achievement. The friendship and confidence you have shown in us. For all of these things we are deeply thankful. Our best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving.